Indoor Positioning Company Qubulus Provides Technology for New Wave of Location-based Services
Improved accuracy indoors will impact the behavior of mobile phone users
28 OCTOBER 2010, MALMO, SWEDEN
SummaryQubulus has developed a solution that uses the existing infrastructure inside large indoor areas like airports, malls, office buildings and event areas to provide the most accurate and reliable indoor positioning to date. This opens up a wide range of possibilities for application makers that want to create exciting new services for indoor areas or improve their current offerings.
Ants Patrik Maran, Qubulus founder and CEO about the possibilities:"We are already seeing some exciting new location-based services where we communicate our location to our social networks, find the best deals, coupons and games based on indoor positioning. What these services now need is much better accuracy and indoor map support to become mainstream."
Practical applications of its indoor positioning technology include:
- Indoor navigation - enter your destination in a parking garage and it will tell you it can not calculate the route because there is no GPS signal. This will be a thing of the past with indoor positioning technology. Indoor navigation will evolve on the mobile where the outdoors maps will seamlessly switch to the indoor maps providing mobile phone users with information about the building they are in and allowing them to navigate to points of interests or even other mobile phone users within the building.
- Trigger marketing - marketing gurus describe trigger marketing as the marketing tools to automatically deliver targeted messages, offers, recommendations based on “events” that occur as a result of a customers interaction with the company or as a change in their behavior, or geo-demographic profile. It is about getting the right message to the right person at the right time via the right channel. Enabling geo-based accuracy indoors can help companies trigger customers with promotions to visit their shop, stand or any other outlet via the mobile of the customer either when entering the area or at the exact moment they walk by, targeting only those who are surely interested in the offer.
- Emergency services - critical services that safe lives have applications in a range of industries. Healthcare personnel may rush to a patient after pushing the button that alarms the need of assistence. Other possibilities are panic buttons for patrolling security guards, prison wards and localization of workforce and machinery in factories.
- Analytics - anonymously collected data from mobile phones will give malls and retail shops great insight into the way their visitors move around indoors. The flow of mobile phone usage can show the paths of visitors and help them optimize their space and promotions.
- Mobile offices - trending in corporate culture is a shift from employees sitting behind their desk at set office hours to a mobilized workforce that regulates its own hours and is location independent. While this freedom has proven to have a positive effect on productivity and efficiency the problem arises that co-workers have a hard time locating each other for face to face meetings. With indoor positioning employees will be able to find one another, regardless of the building, the floor level or the specific area within a building.
Frank Schuilfrank@qubulus.com, T: +46 (0)73 981 86 38
Qubulus provides a positioning platform for smartphones where GPS does not work. Its patented solution is world leading in accuracy, cost-efficiency and versatility. Application areas include navigation, location-based gaming, point-of-sale applications, augmented reality and enterprise solutions and will change the way mobiles interact with their environment. Location data is stored on the backend to create analytics for the physical space. For more info visit www.qubulus.com